Friday, February 6, 2015

Southwest Chipotle Bowl

So I don't have a picture of this amazing recipe because it didn't last that long.  Something that I've learned on this journey is if I learn to make yummy food, then I won't be so tempted to eat out all the time.  It saves us a lot of money in the household, and it feels more satisfying knowing I can make food that tastes just as good as a restaurant at a much lower price.  

This recipe started out as a fajita recipe, but I put it on the tortilla and it wouldn't even close.  That's when I decided to just throw it all together.  

Here is what you'll need.

  • top round steak cut into strips
  • a box of quinoa or couscous whichever you prefer (I made couscous)
  • a can of black beans
  • medium vidalia onion sliced
  • poblano pepper, sliced
  • a handful of cilantro
  • 1/4 cup of greek yogurt
  • 1/4 cup pace picante sauce (i used medium)
  • Mrs. Dash Southwest Chipotle Seasoning
  • 2 tsp olive oil
Directions:
Cook quinoa or couscous according to box directions and set aside.  Also cook your black beans until warmed and set aside.  In a large skillet, warm 1 tsp. olive oil and sear your steak until its done, seasoning to taste with Mrs. Dash Chipotle seasoning. Be careful not to over cook this steak, it gets done very quickly.  You can also grill your steak for less fat. In another skillet, warm 1 tsp olive oil and saute onions and peppers. 

To assemble your chipotle bowl, you layer as follows,  1/2 cup quinoa/couscous, 1/2 cup black beans, 3/4 cup of the steak strips,  and 1 and 1/4 cups of onions and peppers.  Then I top with a dollop of greek yogurt (used as sour cream), 1/8 cup of picante sauce, and some cilantro to garnish.  

When I'm done there are lots of left overs.  Enough for at least a day or so, so I store it in containers for lunches for work and dinners after work.   

Hope you enjoy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment